Source: urbanfoodie33, Flickr.
Why You Should Eat a Healthy Breakfast
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Breakfast provides you with the energy and nutrients that lead to increased concentration in the classroom.
- Studies show that breakfast can be important in maintaining a healthy body weight.
- Hunger sets in long before it’s time for lunch, but because it’s not convenient to eat properly, many people who have not eaten breakfast snack on foods that are high in fat and sugar.
- People who skip breakfast are unlikely to make up their daily requirement for some vitamins and minerals that a simple breakfast would have provided.
- Breakfast provides energy for the activities during the morning and helps to prevent that mid-morning slump.
Tips on Eating a Quick and Healthy Breakfast
- Pick 2-3 foods, including at least one from each of the following food groups:
-bread and grain (i.e. cereal, toast, muffin)
-milk and milk product (i.e. low-fat yogurt, low-fat milk)
-fruit or vegetable group (i.e. bananas, apples, carrots)
- Pick up portable breakfast items when at the grocery store. You should buy foods like fruit, low-fat yogurt, whole grain breakfast bars, or granola bars for those mornings when you have to eat breakfast on the go.
- Replace or accompany that morning cup of coffee with a glass of orange juice or milk.
- Make an omelet! You can shorten preparation time by chopping up your vegetables ahead of time.
- Get up 15 minutes earlier. You can fix and consume a healthy breakfast in 15 minutes or less.
- Plan ahead to eat breakfast. This means you should decide what you are going to eat for breakfast before the next morning. You can save time by putting out the box of cereal or cutting up some fruit the night before.
- This week’s post goes hand in hand with the health tip we posted about getting a good night’s sleep on January 24. Getting a good night’s rest and eating a healthy breakfast the next morning will set your body and day up for success.